Thread: Mariah Carey  

•  

Mariah Carey

Date of Birth
    March 27, 1970, Huntington, Long Island, New York, USA

Height
    5' 8" (1.73 m)

Mini Biography
    Mariah Carey was born on March 27, 1970 in Huntington, Long Island, New York to Patricia Carey (n?e Hickey), an opera singer and vocal coach & Alfred Roy Carey, an aeronautical engineer. Her mother is of Irish descent & her father was of African & Venezuelan descent. Mariah attended Greenlawn's Harborfields High School. In June 1990, Mariah made her debut with "Mariah Carey" which entered at #73, but on August 4, 1990, it reached #1. Her 1990 self-titled debut album went multi-platinum and spawned an extraordinary four consecutive #1 singles: "Vision of Love," "Love Takes Time," "Someday" and "I Don't Wanna Cry," and led to Grammy Awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Vocalist. Her 1993 album titled Music Box went ten-times platinum. On September 30, 1995, she made music history. Her single "Fantasy" from her 1995 Daydream album debuted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the first female artist to accomplish a number one debut in the U.S. Her other Daydream's single "One Sweet Day" remained for 16 weeks at the top of the charts. She is the only artist since The Beatles to have so many #1 singles and albums. With "Heartbreaker", the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow and also her 14 #1 single, she became the only artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s, and with "Heartbreaker" at its 60th week atop the Billboard's charts, she pushed ahead of The Beatles's 59-week record as the only artist with the most cumulative weeks spent atop Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart.

Following "Heartbreaker," her second single "Thank God I Found You" also from her Rainbow album became her 15th #1. "We Belong Together" from her 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi became her 16th #1 single and was also her first #1 without any guest artists since her song "My All" (also a #1 single) captured the top spot in May 1998. The single "Don't Forget About Us" also from her 2005 album Emancipation of Mimi became her 17th #1 single, tying her with Elvis Presley's 17 #1 singles. Three more Grammy Awards were gained from The Emancipation of Mimi album. She is the most successful selling female artist in music history and is the only female artist to have the most #1 singles and albums and also holds the record for straight #1 singles and albums each year. Along with numerous awards and incredible vocal range, she also composes all of her own material, with the exception of song covers.

In April 2008, the single "Touch My Body" became her 18th #1 single, pushing her ahead of Elvis Presley's 17 #1 singles. Now she is the only artist since The Beatles to have as many number one singles and the only singer alive likely to succeed them.

Elite Prospect
      Images
      wow very sexy!

Elite Prospect
      Images
      Here are a few old one`s and new pictures from her.

Mariah Carey (born March 27, 1970) is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, music video director, and actress. Her debut was in 1990 under the guidance of Columbia Records executive Tommy Mottola, and she became the first recording artist to have her first five singles top the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Following her marriage to Mottola in 1993, a series of hit records established her position as Columbia's highest-selling act. According to Billboard magazine, she is the most successful vocal artist of the 1990s in the United States. Carey took much more control over her image and music following her separation from Mottola in 1997, and she introduced elements of hip hop into her album material. Her popularity was in decline when she left Columbia in 2001, and she was dropped by Virgin Records the following year after a highly publicized physical and emotional breakdown, and the poor reception of Glitter; her film and soundtrack project. In 2002, Carey signed with Island Records, and after an unsuccessful period, she returned to the forefront of pop music in 2005. Carey was named the best selling female pop artist of the millennium at the 2000 World Music Awards, and she has recorded the most U.S. number-one singles for a female solo artist (seventeen). In addition to her commercial accomplishments, she has earned five Grammy Awards, and is well-known for her vocal range, power, melismatic style, and use of the whistle register. However, some critics have said Carey's efforts to showcase her vocal talents have been at the expense of communicating true emotion through song.

Birth name - Mariah Angela Carey

Nicknames - Songbird, MC, Mirage, Mimi

Height - 5' 9" (1.75 m)

Biography
      Mariah Carey was born in Long Island, New York on March 27, 1970. Her parents are Patricia Hickey (Irish-American) and Alfred Roy Carey (African-American/Venezuelan). Mariah attended Greenlawn's Harborfields High School. In June of 1990 Mariah made her debut with Vision of Love which entered at #73, but on August 4 1990 it reached #1. She is the only artist since the Beatles and Elvis Presley to have so many #1 singles and albums. Along with numerous awards, she is the most successful selling female artist in music history and is the only female artist to have straight #1 singles and albums.

Spouse
      Tommy Mottola (5 June 1993 - 5 March 1998) (divorced)

Trade mark
      Beauty mark just below her mouth.
      Labels her albums, videos, photographs, and clothing with butterflies.
      Spectacular range spanning 5 octaves.

Trivia
      Bought Marilyn Monroe's white lacquered baby grand piano at auction in October, 1999 for $600,000 plus commission.
      Her highest octave is two octaves higher than normal soprano.
      Got her name from the song "They Call The Wind Maria". The popular Lerner & Loewe musical Paint Your Wagon (1969), starring Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood, which was enjoying a great deal of success after its release in 1969, and the song containing Mariah's name, although spelt without the 'H', was apparently a favourite of mother Patricia.
      Worked a variety of odd jobs to support herself, including hat/coat-checker, hostess, hair sweeper in hair salons, and waitress. She stated that she got fired from all her jobs because of her attitude and was concentrating of becoming a backing singer and mixing demos.
      Dated Latin singer Luis Miguel.
      Attended Oldfield Middle School and Harborfield High School.
      Father is half Venezuelan and half African-American, mother is Irish-American.
      In 1999 Mariah won the Horizon Award at the Congressional Foundation Awards for her work with and for children.
      The only female artist to have 16 #1 songs in the US Hot 100 chart.
      Made her singing debut, age 20. [1990]
      Had the nickname "Mirage" in high school, because she never showed up for class.
      According to her spokesperson, Mariah suffered a physical and emotional breakdown, and spent the next couple weeks recovering in a Connecticut mental hospital. [25 July 2001]
      Appeared on the benefit concert "A Tribute To Heroes" and sang the song "Hero" in dedication to the families, friends, victims, and heroes of the World Trade Center tragedy. [September 2001]
      Signed a $100,000,000 million deal with Virgin Records for her next four albums. [2001]
      Mariah Carey's songs have spent more weeks at Number 1 in the Billboard charts than any other artist in history. Sixty-one weeks total, the previous record was fifty-nine weeks held by the Beatles. [2001]
      Founder of Camp Mariah, a serene escape located in Fishkill, New York for inner-city youth to embrace the arts, introduce career opportunities, and build self-esteem.
      Named one of People Magazine's '25 Most Intriguing People of 2001'.
      Virgin records buys out her $100 million contract for $28 million. The primary reason being the failure of her Glitter (2001) album and film. [26 January 2002]
      Single 'One Sweet Day' holds the record for the single staying most weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (a record 16 weeks)
      She is in third place among all artists with the most No. 1s in music history, moving closer to Elvis Presley's second-place total of 18 #1 hits, with The Beatles remaining in first place with 20.
      Owns a three floor apartment in New York City
      Signed a three-album deal with Island/Def Jam records for a reported $21-24 million. She had already started work on a new album, which had no release date at that point. Meanwhile, WiseGirls (2002), her movie with Mira Sorvino, premiered on HBO in the fall of 2002. [May 2002]
      Voted in at #36 in FHM's Sexiest Girls of 2002 poll, American edition.
      Her seventh studio album, titled 'Charmbracelet', will be released on December 3, 2002, a week earlier than originally planned.
      Is the most successful female singer-songwriter of all time, with 16 #1 hits and more than 150 million records sold worldwide.
      Measurements: 34B/C-22-35. (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
      Her paternal Venezuelan grandfather's name was Francisco Nunez. He changed his last name Nunez to Carey after moving to New York City; he hoped an American name would help him make a good life in the US. He took the name Carey from his biological father. Francisco's mother Margarita Nunez was with a man named Carey, but they were not married.
      Used to be a backup singer for Brenda Starr.
      The first single from the Glitter (2001) soundtrack, "Loverboy," was the #1 best selling single for a movie soundtrack in the year 2001.
      Has worked with an extensive amount of musicians, including: Brian McKnight, Whitney Houston, Boyz II Men, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Cam'ron, Carole King, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, 98 Degrees, Joe, Da Brat, Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott, Aretha Franklin, Shania Twain and many, many more.
      She has twice recorded Phil Collins' song "Against All Odds", initially on her album "Rainbow" and then a collaboration with Westlife hit number one in the UK in 2000.
      Her mother Patricia Hickey is a former mezzo-soprano New York City opera singer and a freelance vocal coach. Patricia was also Mariah's vocal coach. Her father Alfred Roy Carey was an aeronautical engineer.
      The Guinness Book of World Records awarded her the record for highest note hit by a human in their March 2003 edition for hitting the G7# note during a live performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner". This note was previously considered beyond human range. Incidentally, she also holds the record for largest vocal range; she can hit a note as low as A2.
      Her siblings are Alison and Morgan, and are significantly older by ten years.
      Mariah writes and co-writes as well as produces and co-produces her own songs, including all of her number one hits (with the exception of her cover of "I'll Be There").
      Her wedding to Tommy Mottola was modeled after the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Her excuse for using the royal wedding as basis for her own was that she never really had much interest in weddings as a girl, and she wanted to know what such a gala affair should be like. Even the tiara she wore, a family heirloom, was redesigned to look like Princess Diana's. Her wedding dress was an ivory-silk duchess satin gown designed by Vera Wang, with a 8.25 m (27') train and matching satin pumps. The whole affair cost almost $US0.5M, not including the 1893 sixpence Mariah put in one of her shoes for luck.
      Her godmother is R&B/Soul diva Patti LaBelle.
      With "Heartbreaker," the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow, she became the first artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s.
      "We Belong Together" from her 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi became her 16th #1 single, is also Hot 100's Greatest Airplay Gainer, and moved to #1 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart to become her ninth #1 chart topper there. It is also her first #1 without any guest artists since her song "My All" captured the top spot in May 1998.
      Some of her prestigious awards include 2 Grammies, many American Music Awards, Billboard's "Artist of the Decade" Award and the World Music Award for "World's Best Selling Female Artist of the Millennium" to name a few.
      Her mother Patricia discovered Mariah's talent in 1972 while rehearsing at home for her New York City Opera debut as Maddalena in Verdi's Rigoletto. Patricia said, "From the time Mariah was a tiny girl. she sang on true pitch; she was able to hear sound and duplicate it exactly. I missed my cue, but Mariah didn't. She sang it - in Italian - at exactly the right point. She wasn't even yet 3." From then on, Patricia began coaching Mariah.
      Some of her albums feature the serif typeface friz quadrata.
      Ranked #47 in Askmen's "Most Desirable Woman" (2001)
      Ranked #99 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women" (2001)
      Ranked #17 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women" (2000)
      Some of her musical influences include Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Gladys Knight, Minnie Riperton and Stevie Wonder.
      When "We belong together" reached #1 on the Billboard charts she became the most popular female artist in the history of the American charts with 16 #1 hits.

Personal quotes
      "This is for all of you out there tonight, reaching for a dream - don't ever give up! Never ever listen to anyone, when they try to discourage you, because they do that, believe me!" (Madison Square Garden, 1995)
      "Forget the image, forget the ensemble, forget the rumours, forget the short skirts, the big hair, whatever! I owe this to the fans and I will never forget you so I want to accept this award on behalf of all of you. We've come a long way and I feel like I'm just getting started. Because as an artist, and most importantly as a person, I am genuinely happy to finally be free to be who I am. Thank you." - Mariah sticks it to the critics at the 1999 Billboard Music Awards.
      "There is a light at the end of the tunnel...hopefully it's not a freight train!"
      "Music is what I love and it's what I feel and it's in me and to know that I can do something that I enjoy and hopefully bring some enjoyment to other people through what I do is an incrediable feeling and I am just really thankful for it"
      "One person could say "Hero is a schmaltzy piece of garbage, but another person can write me a letter and say, 'I've considered commiting suicide every day of my life for the last ten years until I heard that song and I realized after all I can be my own hero.' And that, that's an unexplainable feeling, like I've done something with my life, ya know?" - Mariah discusses the importance of her music."
      "A lot of the time they (the media) form the idea in listeners' minds. Calling me a 'pop diva' without listening to my work so when I come out with an urban song it's like, 'Pop diva goes black.' I mean, pur-lease." - Mariah from Hip Hop magazine
      "Butterflies are always following me, everywhere I go."
      "I'm not one of those people that goes into details of my personal life on national TV to get attention. Some things are better left unsaid"
      "A lot of people are singing about how screwed up the world is, and I don't think that everybody wants to hear about that all the time."
      "I'm not vain, I'm insecure."
      "I decided to make my own ski-wear range after I found there were no fashion outfits for me to wear on the piste."
      It's hard to be someone that people talk about and write about, you know? They don't know me.
      I prayed very hard for this to happen and it happened. I don't even think about what I've achieved, I haven't focused on it and I wish I had, because I really want to enjoy it, and I don't know if I am enjoying it, because I am going through my life like a bulldozer. I still haven't marveled at it. I don't mind being compared to Whitney, there are people miles worse to be compared to, but if you really listen there's a difference.
      People all of a sudden just see me and hear me having hit records and it seems to have come out of the blue. But really I have been working towards this my whole life, and this is what I say when people say I haven't paid my dues.
      What I write is all from my imagination. Fact is, I haven't had time to experience all that, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't write from the heart, because I do. I put myself in other women's shoes, I can feel their pain and joy when I think about it. It's all the same, we're all women.
      There's never been anything else in my life that inspired me at all. It's crazy, but I've always loved music and I've always known this was what I wanted to do. I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a singer.
      [Referring to the media] "They sensationalize everything. They have papers to sell, TV shows to sell, ratings to get. They're not interested in writing, I had a normal day, that I woke up, put on a pair of sweats, walked my dog, had lunch and went home."
      Someone said I never paid any dues.I feel my whole life was struggling, because we were poor. We were alone, we had nothing--no security. I feel I have paid my dues. I've been paying my dues all my life.
      They went through some very hard times before I was born. They had their dogs poisoned, their cars set on fire and blown up. It put a strain on their relationship that never quit. There was always this tension. They just fought all the time. [On her parents' divorce]
      "I've always said that my father is half black and half Venezuelan and my mother is Irish. But people don't understand. They can't fathom that I'm African American, Venezuelan and Irish."
      "And maybe there are some people out there who think a quarter Venezuelan is not a lot... Well, I may be only one quarter, but it's a strong quarter."

Elite Prospect
      Images
      And here are some more !
      Credits 2 all the original posters..
      They are not all of the best Q...sorry..

sanny7
      thanks for them

Elite Prospect
      Images
      Hollywood restaurant AGO -Oct 15 2007

Elite Prospect
      Images
      New York's Rockefeller Center, Oct 23

Elite Prospect
      Images
      Evening Time New York 10/23/07

Elite Prospect
      Images
      It's funny that she's wearing sunglasses at night.

knuffel

10. Liked by 7 users: Aekhyron, CB, hiigara, jareb13, jimaroon, philips25, sliphed

Images
      From Interview Sept. '07:

There was another one, but haven't mastered the whole two page thingy yet...

Glamour November 2007:

Elite Prospect
      Images

Thumbs up [11/05/07] Mariah Carey @ Glamour Women of The Year Performance x16

sanny7
      THANK YOU

Elite Prospect
      Images
      very hot updates

thx.

Images
      No problem.

Sig by Loonatik

Elite Prospect
      Images
      at her parents jewellery store in Aspen Dec 23 2007