Thread: Stories from author Magicidan  

Elite Member
    Images

Stories from author Magicidan

Operation Weekend Spoiler

By Magicidan ©

Something just didn't seem right.

My wife Eva was a secretary, make that a damn good secretary with a great job. In ten years at Consumer Industries she never had to work overtime. Nope, not once. She worked 9-5 Monday through Friday and came home. We ate dinner together and had a date night every Saturday. I didn't think life could get better.

After years of excuses we agreed the time was right to start a family. My career was doing great and we would be able to live on my salary in the style to which we were accustomed. Eva went to her doctor and was pronounced 100% healthy and ready to become a mother. She stopped taking the pill and began a vitamin regimen that her doctor said would make conception a slam dunk. That evening we selected a bedroom to be the nursery and began discussing names.

I encouraged Eva to give notice so she could relax and concentrate on conceiving. She said her job wasn't very stressful and wanted to work until she had a baby bump to show off. I guess that's why her announcement came as such a surprise.

"Honey, I've been approached with an interesting proposition. Mr. Walters thinks I would make a great administrative assistant."

"But you're going to make an even better mother."

"Well, I've been thinking...maybe we could postpone having a baby a few years."

I was crushed and told her if she said yes our fairy tale would not end with ''and they lived happily ever after."

"Don't be silly. We still have plenty of time to start a family."

Two days later Eva came home and said she accepted the promotion. We had a big fight. A week later she announced she would be going on her first customer call...a large manufacture in California. She would be leaving Friday morning and coming home Monday afternoon. We had not spent even one night apart since we were married and now my wife wanted to go to California with her boss. I was not a happy man.

I begged her to reconsider. She dug in her heels and said she had to do this to see if she was good enough.

On Friday morning I told her I would drive her to the airport. "No. The company is sending a town car for me."

"No." I said, "If I have to be separated from the woman I love I am driving you to the airport and kissing you goodbye at the departure gate just like in the movies."

"But what about work?"

"Screw work. You're more important than work...than anything."

Eva finally agreed but said she would have to call the service to cancel them. She looked uncomfortable during our ride and I hoped it was just nervous jitters about flying.

Unfortunately, because I didn't have a boarding pass, I had to make our farewell kiss outside of security. I told her I would wait in the parking lot in case she decided to place our having a family above this job audition. Yes, that's right, she wouldn't know if she got the promotion until her boss saw her interact with the customer.

"Even if you choose work over our family I'll still pick you up right her Monday afternoon." Again she tried to talk me out of it.

Driving home that queasy feeling in my stomach engulfed my whole body. I knew she was up to something and it wouldn't be good.

When I got home I went straight to her briefcase. I thought it odd she didn't take it with on her business trip; opening it was a cinch because she never changed the combination from 0-0-0. Inside I found an itinerary for two round trip tickets from Chicago to San Francisco.

Next was a confirmation of a reservation for two guests for three nights; it was in Ronald Walters' name. I searched for another page with Eva's name but found none. This was not looking good.

I carefully examined every paper in the case; the rest were work related.

"Damn!" I yelled. If only I had thought to look in it last night I could have confronted her.

I knew she couldn't answer her phone on the plane but left her a message, "My loving wife. It's not too late for you to come back. Charge a first class ticket home on my AMX card and we'll make you the most beautiful new mother in Chicago."

A couple hours later I received a text a couple hours later that said "Arrived safely...now stop being silly! I have work to do!"

I called her but it went straight to voice mail. That meant I had work to do. Detective work.

I began my search with her desk. I found Consumer Industries Employee Handbook to be most interesting. On page one was my wife's signature agreeing to abide by the Code of Conduct which included automatic termination for any employee, regardless of title, seniority, or statue, entering into a sexual relationship, regardless of duration or gender, nor marital status of either party(s), with any co-worker(s) or subordinate(s).

Since I couldn't stop their affair I knew that I had to document the heck out of it to get my revenge.

I called Eva's employer and pretended to be a customer. "I'm sorry but Mr. Walters is taking a couple of personal days off but will be back on Tuesday. Can someone else be of assistance?"

Later I called Eva's number and was told she was also taking a couple of personal days off.

I called our cell phone provider and requested a printout of all calls made from my wife's phone during the last year. Since it was under my name they were very cooperative and offered to e-mail them to me. I thanked them for their excellent customer service and was soon scanning page after page of numbers.

I was able to identify most as friends and family but there was one which suddenly appeared about six months ago; it got a slew of calls for three weeks, then nothing until ten days ago. There were a score of calls from that number but no return calls. A quick check of White Pages showed it was registered to her boss, the bastard whom she was with right now.

I searched my memory from a half year back and remember Eva was in the mood from hell for a couple of weeks, all sullen and withdrawn. After she snapped out of it she joked that it was female problems and I wouldn't understand. Well I understood now. The calls from her boss resumed shortly after we had visited the doctor to begin the road to parenthood. And now it seems the fertile womb who professed before God and man to forsake all others was having an affair.

I collapsed on the floor sobbing.

When I composed myself I got on the computer and searched Eva's e-mail account. It only took three guesses to figure out her password. I started checking all the saved messages; nothing of note. Then I found a folder labeled lawn service. Bingo. There were 34 saved messages.

The first said, "Eva, sex with you was incredible. When can we get together again? Ronny.

Her response was curt, "Yesterday was a mistake that can never happen again."

This was followed by a couple dozen e-mails trying to schmooze her into a repeat performance. When that failed the bastard changed tactics. The next e-mail had an attachment; a picture of Eva naked lying on a couch. From the pose and expression on her face she had no idea it was being taken. The message was to the point. "Unless you want your husband and everyone you work with to get a copy we will resume our affair."

Eva's response was to appeal to his sense of decency.

His response had two more pictures attached.

I was furious and almost punched out the monitor.

Thus the trip to California came to be. Three nights of blackmail sex. I didn't sleep a lick while debating flying out to confront the bastard.

I called the hotel Eva was staying early Saturday morning. What a surprise, she wasn't registered as a guest. The cheap bastard she was fucking wouldn't even spend the money to get a separate room to throw me off the scent. I documented who I spoke with than asked if Ronald Walters was a guest. Yep. Room 719. Busted.

So I called my lovely wife on her cell phone. She sounded a little tired from the previous night's activities. "Honey, I felt so bad the way we left things that I tried to surprise you by having room service bring you up breakfast but they said they had no record of you as a guest." I would have loved to see the look on her face as she stammered something about the room must be in the company's name. No problem...give me your room number and I'll buy my girl the best breakfast that hotel has."

Eva stammered, "No, no please don't bother. We're meeting the customer for brunch in a little while." There was panic in her voice.

"Well I still want to know what room you're in."

"Uhhhh. Room 719."

"Fine, I'll be calling you on the room phone this evening, say eight your time. That will give you plenty of time to have dinner with your customers. We have a lot to talk about."

That should put a damper on her hjinks.

I spent the rest of the day learning as much about Ronald Walters as I could. I went to a library across town from where I lived and searched public records. The Cook County Assessor showed he lived in Park Ridge, a tony suburb nestled between Chicago and O'Hare Airport. Next I searched the Cook County Recorder's website and learned he paid $725,000 for his house just before the real estate market tanked. It seems mister lover boy was behind in his mortgage and a lis pendens had been filed. This meant he was going into foreclosure.

The last site I checked had a great aerial view of his house. It was the last house on a street that dead ended at a forest preserve. Even better, there was a bicycle/jogging trail through the woods.

I decided to reconnoiter the house. I dressed like any other cyclist and cruised by the house without slowing down. When I was certain I was alone I hid my bike in the bushes and crept up to the back door of the house.

One trick my dear departed grandfather taught me was how to spring a cheap door lock. It amazed me how people felt secure with a $15 lock set they bought at a big box hardware store to protect all of their valuables. I put on a pair of gloves, made sure no one was coming, and turned my attention to the inexpensive lock It took me less than thirty seconds to get the door open. Thanks gramps.

After making sure the house was empty I began searching the premises. My first stop was his office. I turned on his computer and damn near puked when I saw his screen saver was a picture of my naked wife. I searched his box and downloaded every picture I could find of Eva. I assumed they snuck away on a long lunch since I could account for all of her evenings and weekends. There must have been two dozen pictures. Most were blurry and out of focus but I could still recognize my wife. The worse were the ones of him fucking her. I debated deleting them but didn't want to let him know anyone had been there.

I checked his e-mails and found a treasure trove. There were pictures of several other women in compromising positions. My wife wasn't the first woman who worked for him that he blackmailed. I downloaded everything on his computer onto my zip drive.

I spent the next couple hours searching Walters' house. I found a duplicate key and pocketed that. He was meticulous in his record keeping with everything neatly labeled. I found a folder which contained all of his financial records including tax returns, Social Security card, and several years of bank and credit card statements. His passport and a photocopy of his driver's license were also in there.

I also found a score of past due notices for his mortgage, car loans, and boat. This bastard was in serious financial trouble.

I photocopied the documents on the machine which was conveniently located next to his desk then put everything back where I found it and resumed my search. I struck the mother load when I looked underneath his desk drawer. There was a piece of paper taped there with all of his passwords written on it. Dumb ass.

I finished my search in his garage where I found a beautiful Corvette convertible. I also found three empty five gallon gas cans. My mind raced at the possibilities.

I checked my watch. It was six PM. Time to take action. I snuck back to my bike carrying a file box chuck full of revenge.

I began dialed Eva on the room phone at ten PM local time like I promised. I didn't get through until almost 11. She was very defensive and got annoyed when I started asking questions about her day. Hard ones, like "What is the name of the company they called on today?"

I kept her on the phone for an hour until she said she was exhausted from the time change and had to go to bed.

I noted she said go to bed, not go to sleep. I had one more ace up my sleeve and decided to escalate the pressure. "Since you're not working Sunday I 'm going to take the red eye out and spend the day with you."

"No, no, no, that's not necessary. There was terror in her voice. I swear I could hear the ass hole asking her what was going on.

She really panicked when I said I was going to surprise her and only told her because I didn't want to take a chance of missing her.

I kept up the charade, "I'm looking forward to spending all day tomorrow with my loving wife and sleeping with her in room 719."

At minimum that should make the cheap bastard pay for another room.

"I'll even see if I can get your seat changed so we can sit together on our way home."

I called the hotel later and verified Ronald Walters rented a room. Chalk up one small victory for the home team.

I called Eva at eleven the next morning to apologize because I couldn't get a flight out on such short notice.

Her response baffled me. "How dare you embarrass me in front of my boss."

"How would you be embarrassed if your husband showing up to spend your day off with you?"

"Because it would look like you don't trust me."

"I think you know the answer to that."

"What do you mean by that crack?"

"I know."

She didn't answer. All I could hear was her whimper. After about a minute the phone clicked off without a word being said. But what could Eva say. She could deny it all she wanted but I had a zip drive chock full of pictures and e-mails that proved otherwise.

Monday afternoon.

Eva sank into the couch as though the life had left her. "What's wrong? I would have expected you would be glad to be back home with the man who loves you."

There was no response, continuing the silence which marked our ride home from the airport.

She finally spoke around six. All she wanted for dinner was a deep dish pizza so I had one delivered.

"So did you earn the promotion? I made no attempt to hide the contempt in my voice as I said the word earn.

The next thing I knew the pizza was flying through the air; Eva stormed out of the room and locked herself in our bedroom. The slam of the door echoed throughout the house.

I finished the slice I was eating and walked upstairs. I tried the knob. Locked. "You can either unlock the door or I'll get a screwdriver and pop the hinge pins. Either way we're talking face to face." The door opened. Eva's eyes were red and swollen.

"I am your husband. I promised to love you for better or for worse. I take those vows very seriously. It looks like you brought worse into our house. We need to talk to make it go away." I took her hands in mine.

"If you want to save our marriage you must agree to three things. One, you must quit your job immediately. Two, we will find a marriage counselor, and three you must tell me what is weighing so heavy on your soul. There is nothing you could have done that I will not forgive you for. It's not too late to save our marriage"

Eva looked at me. For a second I thought she was going to agree to all three. Instead she said, in a voice barely louder than a whisper," I can't."

It was a very stressful month. On her first day back Eva's transmission blew up...something about a connection coming loose and all of the fluid draining out. When I found out how much a new tranny would cost I sold it to an auto salvage yard. Eva had to rely on me for transportation to and from work. This greatly limited her mobility. These rides were usually made in silence.

We were sleeping in separate bedrooms.

Every day I begged her to quit her job. She soon stopped responding.

Instead she said she was going on another trip for work, "I can't quit. I'll need a job to support me when we're divorced. My heart damn near stopped. "I'm leaving Friday morning at 10."

On Thursday night I put into effect operation weekend spoiler.

Since Eva had made the choice to abandon our marriage I took steps to protect my finances, including removing our joint checkbook and all of the credit cards from her purse. I left her a five dollar bill.

I had learned there are nefarious sites where financial information can be posted to destroy someone's credit. I picked one that looked particularly sleazy. Walters' FICA score wasn't too good to start with but within minutes it was a train wreck. Every credit card rocketed past its limits and was soon cancelled. Since he was on the plane no one could get a hold of him to give the bad news.

Thanks to the passport and Social Security card Ronald Walters' name soon appeared on watch lists at Homeland Security and Interpol. Due to the number of clones using his identity he was placed on the no fly list.

One minute after the airplane was wheels up a trusted accomplice called the hotel to cancel Walters' reservation. The desk clerk was happy for the advanced notice as there was a big convention in town and rooms were a precious commodity.

The hotel manager was sympathetic but said there was nothing to do. He had no vacancies.

Walters started dialing hotels in search of a room. On his twenty-first call he found one at a very premium price. The clerk said he would need full payment over the phone. Image Walters' surprise when his American Express car was declined. Then his Master Card. Then his Visa. Discover too.

When he ran out of cards he ordered Eva to give him hers. The moment she opened her wallet she sighed, "They're all gone. He must have taken them."

Walters began frantically dialing credit card companies trying to get someone to reissue a card. His credit was so weak before the problem the best they could do was say they would have a supervisor review the request call him back tomorrow. Without a credit card between them the wanna be adulterers spent the night on chairs in the lobby.

I had kept them from having sex at least one night.

Saturday brought even more fun as the FBI showed up to talk to Walters about his passport appearing all around the world. It also seems they got an anonymous tip about him smuggling weapons mislabeled as consumer goods.

Eva got to spend the day sitting on a stiff backed chair while the agents checked out a 'few details'. She spent her $5 bill on candy and chips from the vending machine. At a few minutes after eight the FBI said they were releasing Walters but warned him that his problems were far from over.

One of the agents took pity and offered to give them a ride to the airport. He said Walters' name was on the no fly list and he would need at least a day for TSA to straighten that out. An hour before the plane took off he was finally allowed to board. Eva ignored him for the entire trip.

Walters tried to buy a drink with his last twenty however United is cashless and his credit cards were plastic garbage.

Like the previous month I picked her up at O'Hare Field. Our reunion was an unemotional as though I were a cab driver.

Eva always took great pride in her appearance. Today she looked like hell. She was still wearing the knee length red dress—one of my favorites—she had on when she left only now it was all rumpled. She had lost her black nylons; her hair was a mess and she had no makeup on. In short, she looked like a refugee. I guess three days sleeping on chairs multiplied by four days in the same outfit without a shower will do that to a person.

I kept trying to engage her in conversation, any conversation. All she would say was "I don't want to talk. This was the weekend from hell."

I hope she didn't see me grinning.

Just before we got home Eva's cell phone rang.

"Don't answer that. We need to talk"

"I have to. It's work."

"No, not until you talk with me first."

She didn't answer. Seconds later the phone chirped to say she had received a text message.

"Ignore that." I ordered.

She read it anyway. A gasp escaped her lips.

I grabbed the phone. "So let's see what made my loving wife gasp."

I read the message out loud. "All in caps, gee this must be important. ANSWER THE PHONE!!! HOUSE BURNED DOWN!!! POLICE THINK I DID IT!!! GET OVER HERE NOW!!!

"Huh. Now the phone call I received on my way to the airport from a Tribune reporter makes sense. He said my wife was having an affair with the leader of an arson for profit ring. Said they would torch houses going into foreclosure for the insurance money and you went to New Orleans with your lover to provide an alibi. He also said he had pictures of you fucking him when you went away on business last month. He sent them over to prove he had them. I haven't had the stomach to look at them.

I looked at Eva. Her face was white as a sheet. Her bottom lip was quivering but she didn't make a sound.

"I cussed the reporter out and said our lawyer would sue the paper for liable if they printed one word. I guess I owe him an apology. I tried to control my rage as I spoke.

Eva's phone rang again. I looked at the caller ID and barked, "Don't call this number again or else." There was no response.

"I guess your lover didn't want to talk to me."

By now tears were streaming down her cheeks. "How could this be happening?"

"Excuse me, could you please repeat that. I couldn't hear you." I shouted.

She took a deep breath then repeated, "How could this be happening?"

"That's funny because I've been asking myself that same question ever since I hung up on that reporter." I was stupid enough to think we had a happy marriage. I was stupid enough to trust you. I was stupid enough to think we would have children and grow old together."

I looked at my wife. She couldn't look at me. "Why?" I demanded.

I was shaking so bad I pulled the car off the Kennedy Expressway and found a spot to park. My phone rang again. It was another reporter.

Eva was sobbing as I began to speak, "A statement...you want me to make a statement. Here's my statement. How would you like to find out your wife of fifteen years is fucking an arsonist. Print that!" I hung up.

Eva was sobbing so hard she was having trouble catching her breath.

I wasn't going to answer the next call until I saw it was the Park Ridge Police Department. They wanted to speak with Walters' alibi. "Officer," I said, "my wife wants to swear out a complaint against Walters for blackmailing her to have sex. Yes, we can produce full documentation of this charge. I can also prove he blackmailed at least three other women who worked for him. Fine, we'll be there in about an hour."

Eva's eyes grew large. I could barely understand her when she asked, "How did you know that?"

I held my finger in front of my mouth and said, "Shhhh, don't talk." I had been dreaming of humiliating Eva and now that it was happening I began to lose my resolve. From somewhere deep in the recesses of my heart a tiny ember still glowed that said I must protect my wife.

I turned both phones off and we sat there until we were cried out. Eva broke the silence, "You must hate me."

"If you had asked me one hour ago I would have said I hated you worse than I have ever hated anyone. Now I'm just numb...like my soul's been torn out of my chest."

Eva was breathing like an asthmatic needing their inhaler. I didn't sound much better.

"Why did you do it?"

"Honest to God I didn't know anything about arson."

"I know you don't."

"Oh. You mean the affair"

"Yes," I screamed, "The affair. The one where the woman who pledged eternal fidelity to me before all of our friends and family betrayed me by fucking a piece of human shit. That affair. Not the one you let yourself get blackmailed into, I'm talking about the one you went into as a voluntary participant. That affair! Well! Why did you do it?"

Eva buried her face in her hands.

"I'm sorry I yelled. Please answer the question. I have to know the reason."

"I've asked myself that a million times. He's an incredible salesman. I turned 35 and was starting to feel old. He somehow picked up on that and laid a line on bullshit on me. I didn't just jump in bed with him. He wore me down with tiny steps. He convinced me it would restore my self esteem...make me feel young and desirable again. I can't believe how stupid I was."

"I always tell you look beautiful."

"That's different. I could have black eye and you would find a way to compliment me about it."

"So destroying our marriage was my reward. This is fucking crazy. I should have been a son-of-a-bitch and treated you like Johnny treats your sister. Talk about black eyes, she's had to cover up her share of them. I'd hate to see what her face would look like if she cheated on him."

The car grew quiet.

"I always loved when you looked at me like no one else exists. I felt so special."

"But not special enough to remain faithful." I answered.

"I never wanted to hurt you."

"But you did. You hurt me. You destroyed me...you destroyed us."

Tears were rolling down her cheeks. I had only seen the look she had on her face once before, the day her father died in her arms.

"You seem surprised that there are consequences to your actions. So how did you think it would end?"

"When I was sitting on the airplane Friday morning I made up my mind I was going to kill myself by jumping of the hotel balcony. My period was late and, since I refused to have sex with you, I assumed it was that bastard's baby. That was more than I could endure. So I expected it to end with my broken body lying in a pool of blood on the sidewalk. I wrote you a note."

She handed me a folded up piece of paper.

Jim, There are no words that can express my deep sorrow for the pain I caused you. I am too embarrassed to face you and am taking the coward's way out. I am so sorry. Eva

"The only reason I didn't go through with it was I didn't have a balcony to use. Then, when I was sitting in the lobby at the FBI offices, a miracle happened. I got my period. I almost leapt for joy knowing I wasn't pregnant. When that bastard came out I told him if he even tried to talk to me I would claw his eyes out.

The detectives conferred with Eva and said I could sit in while they interviewed her provided I keep quiet. It seems a messenger delivered a manila envelope with copies of e-mails and pictures from Walters' computer.

I got to listen to the history of my wife's affair in great detail. Then they showed her pictures. She identified Walters' and admitted everything she did was consensual, then added, "Except the pictures. I didn't know anything about any pictures." The older detective handed me the photos to examine. I already knew each one by heart.

She looked at me and said, "I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry we have his computer and he's not getting it back."

"Okay, let's move along to after you broke off the affair. They handed her copies of the e-mails in which he threatened to distribute the pictures if she didn't resume the affair. What did you do when you got the last one?"

"I went into his office and told him I wasn't going to let him blackmail me."

"What did he do?"

"He got up and closed the door. Then he showed me his laptop. It was covered with pictures of me naked." He asked, "Should I press send?"

"I was devastated. The air got sucked out of my lungs and I had to sit down."

"What happened next?"

"Walters said I have two weeks to change my mind."

"I shrugged and said I guess I don't have a choice."

I moaned when I heard that.

"He smiled and said, "Atta girl. Now don't look so glum. We had a lot of fun together but we have to be careful around here...too many big ears. But I know a way we can stick a trip to the coast on the company". A couple days later he tells me his administrative assistant cover story. He said if took vacation days and stopped by a couple of customers he could write the whole weekend off on the company."

Eva spent the next half hour telling the detectives how he sexually abused her in San Francisco. They asked her a number of embarrassing questions. When she got to the part about me saying I was going to fly out on the red eye she managed a small smile and said, "Walters' flew into a rage when he thought Jim was coming."

She spent the next hour detailing her forced trip to Florida. Several times during the telling she paused and looked at me as if looking for some reaction. I tried to look stoic. "It was like the weekend was cursed. Someone definitely was watching over me." She gave me another small smile.

The older detective caught it. "Mr. Herron, when did you first learn of your wife's affair?"

I stuck with the story I had been rehearsing. "This afternoon on my way to the airport a reporter from the Tribune called to tell me my wife was having an affair with an arsonist. He also told me you received enough information from an anonymous source to take that sexual predator off the streets for a long time."

It was dark out when we finally left the station. The detectives said they had a meeting scheduled with the head of Human Relations to track down the other victims.

When we got to the car I held the door open out of force of habit. I started the car and threw it into gear.

Eva spoke, "I know I don't have the right to ask a favor but I would appreciate a ride to my mother's house."

I didn't answer but started to drive in that direction. After a couple of miles I pulled into the parking lot of an Italian restaurant.

"I don't understand."

"I can hear your stomach growing. When is the last time you ate?"

"Almost two days ago. Five bucks doesn't go too far on vending machine food."

I laughed for the first time in two months.

"I can't go in there. I look horrible."

"I'll bring it out. We can eat at home."

Eva's face lit up like life had returned to her body. "You said home!"

"Our home. So, what would you like to eat?"

It took her a minute to compose herself enough to answer.

An hour later we were finishing our meal when Eva knelt down in front of me.

"To my eternal shame I had no idea you would be my guardian angel, swooping down from heaven while swinging the fiery sword of justice. You saved my life."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Can you ever forgive me?"

"I honestly don't know. But I'm willing to try."

"Will you ever be able to trust me again?"

"It's not going to happen overnight but it can be earned."

"Will you ever tell me the whole story of what happened this weekend?'

"Maybe, when I trust you."

Eva giggled.

"Thank you for giving me a second chance. I promise I won't disappoint you again."

I cupped her face in my hands and stared in her eyes, "You better not. I have fifteen years invested in you."

Sending an envelope to the news desk of every Chicago TV station and newspaper was inspired. Each got a ream of damning evidence...copies of past due letters from the mortgage holder threatening foreclosure and letters threatening to repossess his cars and boat. The naked pictures were included just to be spiteful. Judging by the phone calls my timing had been perfect.

When the fire department extinguished the blaze they were able to establish the point of origin as the garage. The arson investigator soon found the remains of a number of gas cans as well as a slightly melted seven day timer which was used to trigger the conflagration. At the appointed time the circuit was completed and electricity surged from the timer through the wires and ignited a bucket full of gasoline. The resulting fireball engulfed the Corvette convertible before spreading through the house.

By the time the first truck arrived the cedar shake roof was ablaze.

Years ago I bought one of those devices that disguise your voice for a Halloween party. It worked perfect for the anonymous call to the police department the day after the fire. Instead of a 36 year old man they heard the high pitched voice of a young lady calling with a tip on a recent fire.

"I know who started the fire. He was bragging that you wouldn't catch him."

Another anonymous phone call told the police when the arsonist would be home from his trip. Two detectives were waiting for him when he arrived. The first thing they did was confiscate his lap top.

I also tracked down an old high school buddy, Joey P, a sleazy attorney who knew every gray area of the law. I told him my problem. He was thrilled to help.

"No problem, here's how I see it. Thanks to the e-mails and pictures we can show a pattern of sexual harassment and blackmail. So we throw all the shit we can against the wall and see what sticks. The asshole doesn't have shit for assets but his employer has vaults full of cash. Their motto is 'we're the family friendly alternative'. All I have to do is threaten to expose the culture of sexual predators and they'll do anything we want to keep this hush-hush.

"I mean his employer had to know something was up when a boss and his secretary take personal days off on the same weekend two months in a row. We'll depose the HR people and subpoena all sorts of personal records for the other women too. We'll have no problem proving this has happened before."

"I think they're gonna roll over like a puppy with an itch. Damn boy, this is going to be fun."

He personally served the papers on the president of Consumer Industries Monday morning at 9:01. The shit really hit the proverbial fan.

I would love to see the look on Walters' face when the attorney for Consumer Industries showed up at the police department lock up. I wonder if he smirked at the detectives, confident he would be released. Instead he was handed papers saying he had been terminated for sexual misconduct and was on his own.

I imagine his public defender wasn't too impressed when he found out his client's alibi was a married woman who was pressing charges against him for blackmailing her into having an affair.

"They're offering you a plea deal...six years in jail followed by four years of probation. I would advise you to take it."

Epilogue:

In the Cook County penal system six years really means six months. But that still gave Walters a lot of time to think. Eventually he pieced the puzzle together and figured out that it had to be me that set him up.

The first thing he did after getting out was to acquire a gun from a former cellmate. That night he went to visit our house. Or, should I say, our old house. We had taken the significant settlement we received and relocated to New Hampshire to start over. A Chicago Police Officer and his wife were the new owners. Officer O'Malley's dog alerted him to an intruder. He unholstered his service weapon and went downstairs to investigate. Walters got off the first shot, high and outside. O'Malley unloaded the clip into the invader. His aim was much better. Walters would never bother anyone again.

So what happened between me and Eva you ask. I told her we would not reconsummate our marriage until she had blood tests done to make sure she hadn't caught anything. Thankfully my wife and I were cleared to resume our sex life.

We have been going to a marriage counselor every week and are closer than ever and have reached the stage in our relationship where we are again trying to conceive a baby.

And yes, one night before a roaring fireplace, I did regale Eva with the story of Operation Weekend Spoiler. She was very impressed.

Elite Member
    Images

Re: Stories from author Magicidan

Scorched Earth

By Magicidan ©

It was late on Friday night and I had just missed the8:30 by a couple of minutes. I was in the city for a meeting that ran very late and found myself sitting alone at a bar in Union Station while I waited for the last train home in the 'burbs.. I called my wife and told her not to wait up.

I was nursing a drink because my budget wouldn't permit a second when a distinguished looking man in a tailored suit announced he was buying a round for the house. I looked around and laughed when I realized we were the only customers there.

He smiled and explained tomorrow was his tenth anniversary. His in-laws coming in from Minnesota on the Hiawatha, which was running an hour late, and time would go quicker with some company. He asked if I had already eaten...I shrugged and explained it was the end of the month and I wouldn't get paid again until Tuesday. "Not to worry," he said. "It's on me. Order anything you want." I shook his hand, thanked him for his generosity, and invited him to sit down and shoot the breeze while we waited.

Over the next hour my benefactor told me the most incredible, dare I say romantic, story I have ever heard.

The following is presented exactly as told by said generous man; I never did get his name. I have no way of knowing if any of it is true but no reason to believe it isn't. I think most men in his position would do the same thing to save their marriage.

Chapter I

I was sitting at the dining room table staring at my laptop, listening to my wife get ready for a girls weekend with her friend Bonnie. But that wasn't where my mind was.

Kristen walked out of our bedroom looking like a high fashion model strutting down a runway. Her jewelry, hair, make-up, and ensemble were perfect. She pulled a large suitcase behind her.

"That's a lot of clothes for an overnighter with Bonnie," I said.

"You know how us girls are," she joked.

"Honey, before you leave, I want to show you a really funny e-mail I received this morning. It will only take a minute."

She looked at her expensive watch. "Okay, but I only have a minute. Bonnie is expecting me to pick her up at ten sharp."

I turned my laptop to show her an email which directed me to a cheating wife website. It said I was supposed to view cheating wife #131. I clicked on the link and was asked to check a box saying I was over eighteen. I hit the X in the yes box and a menu appeared. Kristen started to tap her shoe impatiently as I scrolled down to #131.

The cover page opened with a profile of the cheating wife. In inch tall, bold black letters the name Kristen St*nt*n appeared as the headline. This was followed by a short biography. Kristen, age 30, a Gemini, lives in the City of Chicago in a Magnificent Mile condominium. Kristen has been married for eight years but has no children. She works out three times a week with her personal trainer. Kristen wants you to click here to see how nice her naked body looks. A box labeled click here to ENTER followed.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that if you add an A and an O to her last name you get Kristen Stanton, the exact same name as my 30 year old wife, a Gemini who lives in a Magnificent Mile condominium, and has been married for eight years without any children.

I glance to my right. My wife was white as a ghost.

"Honey, should I press ENTER?" I taunted.

The only sound my wife made was gasping for air like an asthmatic fighting for breath.

"Well Kristen Stanton, my 30 year old Gemini wife who lives in a Magnificent Mile condominium and has been married for eight years without any children, should I click ENTER?" My voice sounded like it was torn from my soul.

"Honey, was that a yes?" I had tears in my eyes as I pressed ENTER. A picture of my beautiful wife lying naked on a bed filled the screen.

Kristen didn't say a word. She couldn't talk while retching all over the hardwood floor. I didn't say a word.

She finally managed to whimper, "I can't believe this is happening to me," as another picture appeared.

"Wow, look at how much Kristen St*nt*n looks like you. You even have that same dress...Remember, I bought it for you to wear went we celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary. Look her bedroom even looks identical to ours...the same curtains and bedspread. Furniture. Everything. What a fucking coincidence."

The next two pictures showed her taking the designer dress off and tossing it on the floor like it was a rag. She stood there wearing only a lace shelf bra, garter belt, stockings, and high heels. Her erect nipples looked proud to be on display.

"Honey, remember when I surprised you with lingerie that looked just like that, just like that! I even bought you silk stockings from Paris to wear under that dress. You said only a prostitute would wear something like that. So I guess the woman in the pictures is a prostitute."

Kristen collapsed into her pool of vomit and began sobbing as she curled into a fetal position. Her dress hiked up enough for me to see she was wearing nylons. That only infuriated me more.

I held the laptop in front of her face and commanded, "Watch." The next twelve pictures were a strip tease with Kristen taking off one article of clothing at a time until all she had left was a smile. The capper were the close ups of her spread legs...three pictures that showed her cleanly shaved pussy in exquisite detail.

"Wow, her husband is certainly a lucky man because my Kristen Stanton called me a pervert for wanting to take pictures of her in her underwear. Hey honey, get up here...there's still fifty four more pictures of this piece of human shit. Wow, there's even a couple videos of this whore masturbating with a big vibrator in her cunt."

Kristen wrapped her arms around her chest while retching with dry heaves. The hacking made a chilling sound. It took at least a minute she managed to stammer, "I...I can explain."

"Shut the fuck up...your cheating whore wife portfolio is doing all the explaining." Another picture of my naked wife appeared on the screen.

"I always trusted you...I have done everything a man can do to make the woman he loves happy and this is how you repay me. So cheating whore wife, who are you fucking?" I demanded.

She coughed several more times as she tried to catch her breath. Bile was drooling down from the corners of her mouth.

"What is the name of the son-of-a-bitch who destroyed our marriage?" My voice quivered with rage.

In a hollow voice she said, "Jim, er James Bowmann."

"And you let that son-of-a-bitch fuck you in our marital bed." I slammed my fist into the table.

Kristen let out a wail that drowned out the orgasmic moans she was making in the video. But she no longer resembled the beautiful woman on the screen. Her hair was crazed and makeup melted and streaked; her eyes were bloodshot yet hollow, like a Halloween corpse. Her silk designer dress was ruined.

"You do remember we have a prenup that says you get nothing if you cheat. You cheated. You get nothing. Now get the fuck out of my condominium you cheating whore."

Kristen threw herself at my feet and grabbed my ankles, "No...no...no...that never happened...I swear...I've never even met him...today I was going to..."

I stopped her babbling. "Today you were going to fuck him but someone spotted your cheating whore wife pictures and sent them to me just in time to stop you. If not you would be fucking him right now. Tell the truth. Admit it."

"Yes, but..."

"And you claim you never met him. How stupid do you think I am? You must think I'm a fucking idiot."

"No...no, it's..."

"If you never met him then where did these pictures come from?" Spit flew from my mouth as I ranted.

"I, er. I e-mailed them to him."

"You what! You want me to believe you would e-mail pictures like these to a man you never met! Unfucking believable."

"I...I...I" she stammered.

"Then answer this. If you never met him then how the fuck did he take pictures of you naked in our home...in our bed...if you never met him?" I roared.

"Bonnie took the pictures with my camera."

"Bonnie! Our good friend Bonnie; our maid of honor. The same Bonnie who offered to sleep with me if I gave her husband a job. And did I fuck her. No, I told you every detail right after it happened and demanded you never have anything to do with her again. I told you she was nothing but trouble...a home wrecker. Even after what she did I still gave him a job because you asked me to, and I loved you so much I could never say no to you. That ends today...you killed that part of me. First thing Monday morning Randy's ass will be in the unemployment line and I don't care if they lose their house. And yes I'm going to tell him everything. She destroyed our marriage and I'm going to destroy hers."

Kristen shrieked something I couldn't understand as she was seized by the cost of her actions.

"Give me your camera, your laptop, and your phone. I have never once checked up on you so I don't know your passwords. Write them down so I can to verify what you said."

"If I find anything that makes me suspect you fucked him, or anyone but me, your ass is out the door and I will send these pictures you to everyone; your parents, your family, your friends...everyone that I can find an e-mail address for. I won't stop until there is nothing left of you for me to hate."

Just then her phone signaled it had received a text message. I read it out loud, "checked in room 488 how soon"

"Let me guess, that's not Bonnie."

She shook her head no.

"What hotel is the bastard checked in at?"

Kristen hesitated.

"You have one tiny hope of saving this marriage. That is if you stop lying and own up to what you did. If not my next call is to my attorney."

"The Palmer House. But..."

"Don't say another word. Not one syllable. Nothing. Clean this mess up then take a shower. You stink. Maybe if you use enough soap, shampoo, and hot water I won't get disgusted when I see you. When you're finished stay in the bedroom and think about what the fuck you did to our marriage. I'll call you when, make that if, I want to talk to you."

Chapter II

"Kristen, get out here." I was still sitting at the dining room table while naked pictures of my wife scrolled by on the laptop.

My wife, for at least now, shuffled out in an old pair of jeans and a bulky sweater. She had on a pair of tennis shoes that lacked laces. Kristen gasped when she saw a picture of her spread eagle fucking herself with a vibrator on the screen.

"This is all I could find from before we get married. That way if you decide to throw me out..." her voice tapered off as she stared at the floor.

She looked pathetic...without any makeup her swollen red eyes appeared demonic against her colorless skin.

"Thank you. That is the first smart thing you have done today. Now take a seat. I looked at the pictures on your camera and they match up with the ones on your webpage. I also could see that home wrecking bitch Bonnie's reflection in the mirror of at least two of them so I believe you."

Her eyes looked at me for but a second.

"I have some good news and some bad news. I called my IT guys, the ones you always make fun of. When I told them what you did they said 'boss, what can we do?' I didn't realize until today but they hate you because of the condescending way you look down your nose at them. They jumped at the chance to get even. I imagine they're enjoying your pictures right about now."

Kristen started sobbing again.

"Don't worry, just because you don't care who knows you're a whore I do care about my reputation in this community.

"They said they would have the website shut down any minute...would you believe over 250,000 people have seen you naked. The biggest problem is from poachers, sleazy webmasters who steal pictures from other websites to post on their own. They said this picture of you masturbating was the most popular. It's on over a hundred different sites. But since your name and address aren't posted I said let them be...there were other more pressing uses for their talents." Just then my computer scene went dark.

"Thank you," Kristen said.

"I read all of your e-mails and can see that Bonnie was the cunt behind your affair. She talked you into going on that spouses looking to cheat site."

Kirsten shook her head in the affirmative.

"I can't even begin to tell you how betrayed I am over the things you wrote to that predator, about me, about our marriage. I had no idea that you hated..."I started crying so hard I couldn't complete the sentence

Kristen looked numb; her mouth hung open but no words came out. I buried my face in my hands and muttered, "I thought you loved me."

Kristen dropped to her knees and laid her head in my lap wailing, "I do love you...I love you more than anything. I can't imagine living without you."

I lifted her face and said, "I read every word you wrote." She had an expression that I had only seen once before, when I had to tell my mom dad was killed in a car accident. The physical body was there but everything that made her who she is had died.

We sat like that for quite some time until her phone signaled another text message. It was from Bonnie, "Having fun?" I showed it to Kristen. She said nothing. I stood up and flung it against the wall as hard as I could. Pieces of broken plastic and glass exploded across the room.

I sat back down and pushed a chair out for Kristen. I did not want her touching me again.

"The guys hacked that home wrecking cunt's computer and found a cache of pictures of her having sex...and not with her husband. It looks like she has had at least three affairs during the last two years with men she met on that cheating wife site."

"What she has done to us had to be punished. Those pictures of her have been sent to every e-mail address she has, family, work; every last one. I wonder if her husband will even bother to show up on Monday so I can fire him."

"Just in case she kept naked pictures of you the guys did something to her computer that destroyed it for anything other than a doorstop." I paused for a moment while I typed something. "I just told the guys to smite her phone too."

I took no pleasure from my vengeance. Instead violent emotions tore through me and I retreated into my self for a few minutes. Kristen sat silently, her body slouched in the chair.

When I settled down enough to speak I continued, "The guys also hacked the bastard's computer. They found an e-mail from him to a half dozen men bragging he was going to plant cameras in the hotel room so they could watch him fucking his new whore live. You almost became an internet porn star."

Karen grabbed her throat and began hacking again only there was nothing left in her stomach to throw up.

"Oh, it gets better. He also bragged he lied to you about having had a vasectomy...and forgot to tell you that he had a fresh herpes sore. So he was going to try to infect you with an incurable sexual disease and get you pregnant this weekend. What a prince among men." I said sarcastically.

I caught Karen as she started to fall off her chair...she was limp and looked and breathing shallow. I carried her to the couch and laid her down. A splash of cold water in her face brought her back. I handed her the glass and helped her sit up and take a sip.

"Please, let me die. I'm too stupid to live."

It took everything I had not to grab her in my arms and say everything would be alright. Instead I continued.

"The guys sent e-mails to the computers that were going to be your audience with a nasty worm attached. None of them will be watching anything on those boxes ever again."

"Next I authorized scorched earth against the bastard. They found pictures on his computer of him having sex with three other woman...they looked like burned out old crack whores but he didn't seem to mind. No wonder he worked so hard to talk you into shitting on our marriage vows."

Kristen hung her head and kept repeating, "I can't believe how stupid I am."

"Oh, and I hope I don't destroy your illusions but the globe trotting business executive is actually an assistant manager at a hardware store in some backwater Wisconsin town... and would you believe he's a deacon at his church as well as a member of the school board"

Kristen moaned again.

"Too bad for him his church has their membership roster on line...so does the PTA. Just for shits and giggles they put together a power point presentation complete with a country song about a cheating husband and sent it to everyone. There's gonna be a lot of eyes popping open in Wisconsin. They also toasted his computer and his cell phone to make any pictures he has of you disappear."

"But my absolute favorite...and this is pure maniacal genius, the guys hacked the credit companies computers to report the bastard's cards as stolen including the one he used to book your love nest. I don't even want to know all of what they did but there are several outstanding warrants for his arrest for identity theft. The warrants say he should be considered armed and dangerous. He should be getting arrested any minute now. I hope he resists. The guys assured me it will be lead story on the evening news."

"When he gets out he'll find his fifteen year old SUV was towed for outstanding parking tickets. After the phone calls I suspect his wife has been getting I don't think he'll be getting bailed out any time soon. Fortunately they don't have any children.

I almost feel sorry for his wife for being married to the piece of human shit who tried to destroy our marriage. Almost isn't the right word because the truth is I am not sorry for a single thing I did to protect the woman I love from a predator. And I swear by all that is holy, I will wreak retribution upon any man who tries to steal my wife and not stop until he is destroyed."

Kristen managed a weak smile and asked, "Does that mean I'm still your wife?"

"Do you still want to be?" I smiled at my beloved wife.

Her eyes lit up. "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I want to be your wife forever. I will do anything...anything to make it up to you. Please give me another chance...you won't regret it." She threw her arms around me and showered me with kisses. "I want to be your wife and grow old with you. I am so sorry I hurt you. When I saw the look on your face I thought about throwing myself off our balcony. I was so ashamed, not just by the pictures but by how I betrayed the man that I love."

"I won't lie. It's going to take a long time for me to trust you again." I answered.

"You rescued me...you saved me from becoming an adulterer and betraying my vow to forsake all others. You are my hero, my savior. I swear on my life I will never give you another reason to mistrust me."

"I've hurt you greatly. Do you still love me?" She asked with a quiver in her voice.

"As much as the day you honored me by becoming my wife, my partner, my only lover."

"And you are the only man I have ever loved...you are the only man I have ever been intimate with. And I will be saying that every day for the rest of our lives. Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"I forgive you my wife."

"I always knew you loved me but I didn't realize how much you loved me until today.

"You are going to have to make a lot of changes," I said. "Starting with Bonnie. I don't want you to ever to speak with, text, or anything with that home wrecker again. If you see her in public just keep walking."

"You have my word. I will do whatever it takes to save my, our marriage."

"And it goes without saying that you must never communicate with the bastard again because there will be no third chance.

"I swear I will never risk our marriage with him or anyone else. Ever."

I swept my fingers through her hair. "It's almost 5. Do you feel well enough to eat something?" I asked.

"Could I have a kiss first?"

Our tongues spent the next fifteen minutes getting reacquainted.

"Now get dressed."

"What would you like me to wear, most wonderful, understanding, husband in the world?"

"I've always liked the presents I bought you for our last anniversary."

"Just like in the picture?"

"Just like in the picture."

My wife blushed and said, "As you wish."

Epilogue.

It has been two years and our marriage has never been stronger. We are now 6/9 on our way to becoming parents and I have never seen my beloved more excited. It may sound cliché but she definitely has a glow about her.

Kristen never heard from Bonnie again. I bowed to Kristen's pleadings and did not fire Bonnie's husband. Randy got custody of their ten year old son in the divorce and, with the help of his mother, has proven to be a very capable single dad. He has also stepped up at work making himself a loyal member of my staff.

The bastard spent two weeks in Cook County Jail before they were finally able to untangle the hurt the guys hung on him; his ex-wife never did visit him nor accept any of his phone calls. When he got out he had lost his job, his wife, and his home. Unfortunately for him he has become the guys' hobby and they make sure his credit is always a shambles...seems there are at least three nefarious people out there using his identity and SS number. Now he lives in the rust bucket SUV, which for some reasons seems to attract traffic tickets. He also uses it for work on his route delivering newspapers at 5 AM. I wonder if he knows he's driving on a suspended license.

So who sent me the e-mail you ask.

I guess you could say I did...with a lot of help. For a couple of weeks I could sense something was different in how Kristen was acting...very secretive. I started to worry she was having an affair. I finally bit my pride and laid it out to my IT guys, two of the smartest computer people I've ever met. They installed spy software like a parent would use on a kid's computer. They caught wind of what the bastard talked her into the day before it was to go down. We sat down, reviewed her e-mails, and discussed our options. Gradually, a brilliant plan to save my marriage was hatched.

I can't actually say how it all came together because the guys might have bent a few laws and would prefer their wizardry never see the light of day.

Oh, and Kristen's pictures never were posted to a whoring wife site. The guys invented a site that only existed in my laptop. They showed me how to manipulate it so it looked like I was on line. That was the bait...and it was taken hook, line, and sinker.

Elite Member
    Images

The End of Greg & Carol

By Magicidan ©

In the history of the world nothing good has ever followed the words, "we need to talk" particularly when they are proceeded by the spouses unabridged given name. When Greg became Gregory I knew the last chapter had begun to unfold.

The private eye I hired-he looked like a 1950's gumshoe who had escaped from a black & white detective movie-had bugged the hotel room my wife Carol shared with her boss, John Hoffmann, the recently promoted executive vice president of sales at Home First Enterprises, the friendly alternative to the big boxes. The pictures showed Mr. Hoffman being friendly with my wife in at least four positions.

From that moment on I spent every waking moment plotting my vengeance. The most important thing was to act normal until I was ready to unleash a full measure of hell fire upon the fornicating miscreants.

The next week went by excruciatingly slow. Carol was very guarded about her work day, which had, until then, been a major topic of our evening conversations. Each day she became a little more withdrawn. But I never let up, "Did anything interesting happen today?" "So who did you go to lunch with?" And, my favorite, "So how's your new boss doing?"

Carol would stammer a vague response and change the subject. Our evenings became very quiet.

My PI had followed them enough to learn all of their assignations took place during long lunches on Fridays. Hoffmann would leave for a customer call at a quarter to eleven and Carol would duck out ten minutes later. Her excuse was she had a chiropractors appointment. They would rendezvous at a business suites motel out on the interstate.

We had enough evidence to hang the pair in divorce court. The papers were all in order, the cannons loaded, and the war horses were chomping at their bits. It was time to force their hands.

I showed up at Home First Enterprises five minutes after Carol left. I walked in and asked Maria, the receptionist, to let my wife know her hubby was here to take her to lunch.

"I'm sorry Mr. Eaton but your wife left a few minutes ago to see her doctor."

"Doctor?"

"She has an appointment every Friday at 11:30. She skips lunch a couple of days a week and takes a long lunch every Friday."

"Thank you. I must have forgotten."

The day before I purchased a prepaid phone so I could call her on a strange number; it was the last week of the quarter and Carol would have to answer so she didn't miss a sale that could put her in bonus.

"Good afternoon, Carol Eaton speaking." Her voice sounded sweet, almost musical; like a salesman should.

"Is everything alright?" I could barely get the words out.

"What are you talking about?"

"I tried to surprise you by popping in and taking you to lunch. The receptionist said you had a doctor's appointment every Friday. Are you alright?" I tried my best to sound concerned.

"I'm fine. It was nothing... a routine adjustment at the chiropractor." I knew by the tone her jaw was clenched. She was not happy and I hoped that would carry over into the adulterer's bed.

"That's strange because I ran into Doctor Wilczak a couple of hours ago. He said he hasn't seen you in over a year and asked if you were cheating on him. When did you change chiropractors?' No response. "Could you at least tell who our new bone crusher is."

"I really don't have time for this nonsense right now. We'll talk when I get home tonight." She hung up.

On a typical Friday night we ordered pizza, and so it was tonight. I was paying the delivery boy when Carol pulled her jet black BMW into the garage.

"Perfect timing." I announced.

"I don't feel very well. I'm going to lie down for a while." Carol muttered then rushed up the stairs. The next sound was the bathroom door slamming. She was still awake three hours later when I joined her in bed. I pushed it one last time, "Why are you being so secretive about seeing the doctor? Is there something you're not telling me?" I was relentless. "Carol, I'm sick worrying about you. Please, tell me what you're hiding."

"Stop nagging me. I told you, there's nothing wrong.. It's been a long day and I'm exhausted. We'll talk tomorrow."

I had a hard time falling asleep because I could hear Carol crying into her pillow. I don't think she slept for more than a few minutes at a time. I couldn't help but wonder how well Oedipus slept the night before he murdered his father.

Saturday Carol was the bitch from hell from the moment she woke up. If we had a dog she would have kicked it. We never did have the promised doctor conversation. Whenever I tried to initiate it Carol ducked the subject. She managed to avoid me for most of the day but I finally caught up with her after lunch. I pretended nothing was amiss and said we had 6 PM reservations at Antoniccis, her favorite restaurant. "Maybe that will help you out of the funk that seems to have stolen your smile." Her response was a blank gaze and a shrug.

At five I found Carol sitting on our bed staring at the wall. "I bought you a surprise." I handed her a box from Niemen Marcus. She didn't open it. I felt awkward standing there staring. "I hope you'll wear it tonight."

When she came downstairs I complimented her on how beautiful she looked in the new dress. "I was going to save these for a special occasion but it looks like you need them now." I handed Carol a gift wrapped box.

Carol tore the paper off and opened the jewelry box and began sobbing. "They'll look great on your new dress." And the string of pearls did.

Dinner was a study in silence. She was so softly spoken the waitress had a difficult time understanding her order. Even three vodka gimlets didn't loosen her tongue. Most of her dinner went home in a doggy bag.

When I pulled in the garage she didn't wait for me to open her car door. She was out of her seat before I had unbuckled. She paused, turned her head, and said, "Thank you." Her first words in over two hours. I watched her walk up the stairs and lock herself in the master bath. I tippy toed up and listened to the door. As I expected she was talking to Hoffman, no doubt seeking his reassurance they would soon be together.

I retired to my den to await fate. I took a small bottle out of my suit coat's pocket and dry swallowed a hand full of tranquilizers. I had been taking those little pills like candy ever since I learned of my wife's infidelity. They were the only thing that kept me from losing it.

I could see Carol in the family room mixing another drink. I watched as she emptied the glass. She was still wearing the little black dress I surprised her with earlier in the evening. I looked up and smiled. Damn she looked good, I thought. When she caught me she turned away.

Even though I knew "the" conversation was coming it still grabbed me like a heart attack.

I was pretending to read a book when she finally walked in. Carol stood in silence for a good two minutes before making small talk, "Gregory, is that a good book?" When I heard my full Christian name and saw she was looking down at her feet and not at me I the end of my marriage was nigh at hand.

I had been rehearsing for this moment for almost two weeks. I prayed I would be able to stay on script.

I placed a bookmark between the pages, closed it, and said, "Not as good as our marriage. So what's on the mind of the woman who I love more every day? Are you finally going to tell me what is vexing your soul?"

I could see tears welling up in her eyes. "What's wrong my beloved?" I feigned concern. "I am so worried about you." I took her hands in mine.

By now she was sobbing.

"Did the doctor give you bad news?"

"No!" her response was a lot louder than the room deserved..

"Is it your mom? Is she okay?"

She shook her head in the negative.

"Your dad...is he..." My words trailed off.

She again shook her head. "I'm fine! Everyone's fine! No, this is something different."

"Oh." I got up and pulled the matching chair out from under the octagon shaped chess table and bade my wife to have a seat. As soon as she sat down I said, "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" She looked puzzled.

"I'll only be a couple of minutes. I have to get something from upstairs," I retrieved my attaché case and laptop from the safe in my study. Carol was sitting at the table with her hands folded in her lap when I returned. Her eyes were red and puffy. Without saying a word I placed my bag on the floor next to my chair then swept the pieces off the chess board. They made quite the racket bouncing off the hardwood floor. Carol had a confused look on her face as she watched. Then I sat down facing her, opened my computer, and began typing.

"What are you doing?"

I held up a finger to my lips and went, "Shhhhhh. Almost there."

The soft click of the keys and her labored breathing were the only sounds in the room. After a couple of minutes I closed my laptop and announced, "All done. So my loving wife, what is weighing so heavily on your mind?"

"It's very difficult for me to begin." She began crying harder I handed her my handkerchief. She finally managed to squeak out "I..I..I don't want to hurt you. You've been the perfect husband."

I didn't say a word.

"I...you are...Gregory you know I love you."

"And I love you." I took her hands in mine and squeezed them.

"That's what is making this so hard."

"Telling me you love me?"

"No, that's easy...Gregory I love you but I'm no longer in love with you. There I've said it." Carol buried her face in her hand and mumbled. "I don't know how it happened."

It almost killed me but I held my tongue. I stared as she hung her head in shame.

Carol finally broke the silence. "We've been together since freshman year of high school. It's always been Greg and Carol. I need some time to be me...not a half of us."

"So you're no longer in love with me because our friends look at us and see what I thought was a happily married couple?"

"No, you're confusing what I said.

"You said you're no longer in love with me. You're going to have to do a who hell of a lot better at explaining what you're talking about."

"You can't understand. You're the successful businessman and I'm suffocating in your shadow."

"You have a very good job."

"This has nothing to do about my job!" Carol looked like a pouting child.

I waited at least a minute before I asked, "Have you found a marriage counselor for us to see?'

"Uh, that's not exactly what I was thinking."

"That leaves divorce."

"No, Greg you're looking at it all wrong. I want this for us...to make us a better couple."

"Then pray tell what exactly are you thinking?"

Carol's voice became very meek, "I was thinking we could try a trial separation."

"A trial separation!" My voice filled the room.

Carol pushed back in her chair. "Wait, let me explain."

I clenched my fists. "Please do."

"Well Amy from work and her husband were having a similar problem..."

I interrupted, "What problem is that exactly?"

"I told you...she lost her identity."

"Isn't that the idea of marriage? Two become one."

"Gregory..."

"And how long would this little experiment of yours last?"

"Well Amy said after a couple of months they tried dating again and they're thinking about getting back together.

"Dating. While you're on this leave of absence do you intend to date...or have you already found someone?"

"No! I told you I love you. I'm not looking to replace you. I just need some time alone to be myself."

"That didn't answer my question. And where do you propose to live after you move out?"

A long silence followed. "I was hoping you would get an apartment; somewhere close. It's a lot safer for a man on his own then a woman."

I laughed. "That's never going to happen, not now or ever."

"Please Gregory, Don't be so unreasonable. I'm trying to make our marriage stronger."

I roared, "Stronger by walking out on your commitment. Stronger by abandoning your promises for richer and poorer...in sickness and in health... Stop me when any of this sounds familiar."

"Oh Gregory, you're looking at it all wrong. We'll be back together, I promise."

"We already know what your promises are worth."

"Oh Gregory please don't say that..." Her voice tailed off.

"Once again, what exactly happened to make you so unhappy with our marriage?"

"It wasn't one big thing...just a lot of little things. Like going to the country club and having the valet refer to me as Mrs. Eaton."

"You're upset because a minimum wage car hiker at the country club you just had to join has proper manors!"

"No, it's more than that...it's a hundred little things I can't recall." She paused waiting for a response which I never gave.

"Oh Gregory, I can't tell you why it happened, it just did."

Neither of us said a word for the longest time. I finally interrupted the quiet by unsnapping the two clasps on my briefcase. I removed two legal sized file folders and placed them on the table. Then I opened my laptop and called up a photograph.

"Is this why it happened?"

I turned the screen so Carol could see a picture of her walking hand-in-hand with her paramour into a business suites hotel. The next picture was of my unfaithful wife violating our wedding vows. Every thirty seconds a new picture appeared. Her face lost all color and she fainted dead away; her body slouched in the chair. I waited a few minutes then brought Carol a glass of ice water and helped her take a sip. She looked confused and terrified as each new photograph appeared...she had the bastard's cock in her mouth.

She turned away. Her voice trembled. "How long have you known?"

"Do you mean how long have I known the woman who swore before God and man to forsake all others had betrayed me? Long enough to have this prepared." I slid a copy of the Dissolution of Marriage document in front of her. Carol was speechless. "You cheated. Our marriage is over. Sign this so I can get on with my life."

She clutched the file as though trying to strangle it. I could see her lips moving as she read the complaint which specified adultery as the reason. Two dozen color photographs were attached as evidence labeled Exhibit B.. When Carol got to them she screamed, "Oh God no!" She began pounding on the table with both fists while wailing something unintelligible .

I took no pleasure as I watched the only woman I ever loved realize she had torn asunder Greg and Carol forever. As the finality of our marriage's death engulfed her she seemed to grow smaller and colorless. I couldn't help but wonder if she had actually been stupid enough to think I would have ever accepted her bizarre separation.

As each new picture scrolled by her wailing reached a fever pitch. I looked on in disgust.

I was glad I had swallowed damn near an overdose quantity of tranquilizers to steel my soul for this moment or I might have wavered in my resolve. To be honest I would rather have died than suffer this; unfortunately the prescription bottle was empty.

Carol's slipped down to the floor; her hands reached for my right ankle. I could make out one word, "Please." I fought my soul's demand that I crush her fingers under my heel. Instead I pushed my chair back out of her reach.

Even though I knew how the story would end I too was in a state of shock. So I closed my eyes and tried to pretend this was a horrible nightmare I had to find my way out of. But when I opened them I was still in hell and the demon continued to taunt me by drawing breaths into her heartless chest.

The front door bell rang dragging me back to reality. I turned and muttered, "I'll be right back." Two men carrying boxes walked into the foyer. We had a brief discussion then they set off for the master bedroom's overflowing walk-in closet. It cost a small fortune to have two movers on stand-by to pack up all of my wife's clothes and personal property but it was worth every penny.

Carol lifted her head and managed to squeak out, "Who are they?"

"If you'll refer to Exhibit A, our pre-nup stays if you are unfaithful you lose everything. That includes this house. So to answer your question they're from Reliable Moving and Storage. They are packing up all of your stuff. I rented a mini warehouse by where you work and paid for the first and last month's rent. You'll be out of here tonight.

Carol began wailing, "I can't believe this is happening.". She curled up into a ball sobbing lamentations.

"What exactly did you expect would happen when you fucked your boss?"

"Oh Greg I thought, I mean I didn't...I mean...can I at least explain?"

"It doesn't matter. You're a liar and a cheat. Now there's a couple of things you should know. The lease for your BMW is in the business' name. I've retrieved the keys from your purse because they'll be picking it up in the morning. You'll also find all of your credit cards have been cancelled...your cell phone will be shut off first thing in the morning. Also, your name has been removed from all of our checking and savings accounts."

"And you'll never have to worry about anyone at the country club treating you with respect ever again."

My cell phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and answered. "Is it done?" I moment later I said, "Thank you. I'll look forward to your report."

"I thought you might like to know your boyfriend's eight month pregnant wife threw him out when my PI gave her copies of these pictures." I turned the monitor so she could see the next debauchery.

"I told you he was a player the first time I met him. You said I was being silly...silly, that word is burned into my soul. Two weeks later he was fucking you. Two weeks. You lasted a whole two weeks before you..." There was no need to finish my sentence.

"I have on good authority his wife swore she would divorce him if he cheated again. Oh, did he forget to mention you're the third bimbo she's caught him with, so he's all yours. I guess you won't have to worry about the dangers of living alone. I wish you a happy life together...until he cheats on you too."

Carol's cell phone rang. "Let me guess...lover boy calling to tell you the good news. He's all yours." I took the phone off the coffee table and smashed it on the floor. It stopped ringing.

Carol's face was contorted into a grotesque mask...I could see the terror in her eyes.

"You really thought this one through, didn't you? Well guess what. I've done a lot of critical thinking. Tomorrow morning my lawyer will be paying a visit to your employer. We've studied your employee handbook and you should count on being fired-your boyfriend too-for moral turpitude . I wonder if they pay unemployment compensation claims for stupid whores?"

"And that's just the beginning..."

The doorbell rang again. "I'll be right back."

Carol was frozen in place. Her mouth was sloppy, making strange sounds which weren't quite words.

I returned followed by an elderly man in a gray suit. "This is Mr. Jackson. Mr. Jackson is a Notary Public here to notarize your signature on the divorce papers. We'll have the movers witness it."

She finally managed to ask the obvious, "What happens if I refuse to sign?"

"Then I hit the send key and everyone you know, family, friends, co-workers, everyone at church, the women at the club, anyone I could find who ever knew you will receive an e-mail overflowing with scores of pictures documenting your adultery. There's even a couple of short videos."

"Is there anything I could say to make you change your mind?"

"You've been fucking your boss for at least six weeks and you tried to talk me into moving out of our house so you could fuck him in our bed. I know you aren't stupid enough to think I would keep a lying whore as a wife."

Carol looked like a hollow shell of a person.

"If at any time tonight you had confessed the truth to me I would have been willing to try anything to save our marriage. I gave you every chance. Instead all you did was lie. You betrayed me...you betrayed us."

"I hate you more than I have ever hated anyone. And I am frightened by how badly I want to hurt you" My hands were shaking with rage. "But I'll tell you what I will do. Until six weeks ago you were the embodiment of everything a soul mate could be. You were my every dream...my every fantasy. Your were the reason I lived. And you killed all of that in me."

"Ours is a no fault divorce state. I have a second set of papers which use the vague irreconcilable differences grounds for the divorce. Sign now and get the fuck out of my house before I lose control and I promise I will never tell anyone the truth."

"Thank you. That's more than I deserve."

Five minutes later her signature was dually witnessed and sealed and the first half of my life ended.

Carol looked numb as she stood at the end of the driveway waiting for a cab to take her to the business suites motel out on the interstate. I booked her their usual suite. I wondered if she would see the humor in that.

Epilogue

Two years have passed. I never broke my promise and told a soul. Until now.

Elite Member
    Images

Lunch Date

By Magicidan ©

Friday morning, make that casual Friday morning, my wife Becky dressed to the nines; a knee length red dress with sheer black pantyhose. A pair of high heels completed the ensemble.

"Damn, you look incredible." I feigned ignorance when I asked, "What are you all dolled up for?"

"Nothing special, I just felt like dressing up."

Now you have to know my wife to know how truly bizarre that statement was. This was a woman who lived for denim. Monday through Thursday she had to wear nice clothes to work but on Friday her uniform was designer jeans tucked into a pair of black leather boots with a blouse or sweater. Never in the five years we were married did it vary. And she certainly did not dress this nice Monday through Thursday.

"If you're going to dress this fine I'm taking you out dancing tonight. I'll make dinner reservations for six."

"Okay." That's all she said; okay. Not where. Just okay.

I wanted to press the issue but had to make a business call to the east coast before I left for the office. I will admit my mind was distracted by how hot my wife looked...knowing why bothered me even more.

She gave me a cursory kiss before leaving for work.

Becky was one of twelve Tech Assistants at a major automotive tool supplier. Their job was to be a liaison between the forty plus sales reps and the warehouse, entering their orders into the system and sending confirmation e-mails to the customers.

For the last few weeks Becky had been acting a little strange. Nothing big but rather a slew of little things. The one that really stood out was she kept mentioning one of the new sales reps, Vince Davis. She often came home frustrated by how clueless some of the reps were but it seemed every day she had some amusing anecdote about Vince. He could do no wrong.

This grabbed my attention and I decided to do a little detective work. Becky always sleeps in on Saturdays; I got up at my usual six AM, poured a cup of coffee, and began reading her e-mails. Most of them were dribble, of no interest to anyone. Undaunted, I kept looking and struck pay dirt when I checked the trash. My wife had dutifully deleted each e-mail from Vince as well as her responses but never bothered to empty the trash can.

I copied everything they exchanged on a thumb drive for safe keeping then started reading them. I found it odd he would be sending business messages to her personal account but their tone soon changed to flirtatious. Then they got very personal with him commenting on what she wore and speculating on what kind of lingerie was under it. Becky responded like a love sick fourteen year old girl, teasing him right back. I found it very difficult to control my rage as the electronic messages approached the present date. He cranked up the bullshit and she ate it up.

I almost smashed her laptop when I read how the bastard shifted to high weasel and tried talking her into going commando to work. When she said she only did that for her husband he whined like a sick puppy trying to get her to agree to at least wear a shear pair of panties to work. I smiled when she shut him down.

That didn't stop him. The next night he tried to talk her into sending a naked selfie but thankfully she turned him down flat. But it was obvious he was comfortable enough to escalate his virtual seduction.

I was tempted to confront her the moment she woke up but realized I needed to cool off or I might kill her. I left a note on the table that I had some errands to run. I conveniently forgot my cell phone on the counter. I spent a lot of time talking to myself, trying to decide my next move. It was dark when I returned. Becky threw her arms around me and said she was worried something happened to me.

"I called your mom and your friends but nobody had seen you. Where were you? Why didn't you call?"

I bit my tongue and didn't say what my mind was screaming. Instead I said, "I had a lot to think about."

On Sunday Becky surprised me with wake up sex. She was an absolute vixen in bed; knowing what she was hiding sucked all the romance out of her performance. She noticed my lack of enthusiasm and asked, "Are you feeling alright?" I ignored her question and avoided her the rest of my day.

On Monday morning I checked her trash can again and found over two dozen messages exchanged while she was so worried about me. There wasn't a single message to anyone asking if they had seen her wayward husband.

They averaged a couple of messages a day for the rest of the week. The weasel was worming his way deep into her mind.

Then, in the immortal words of Alice in Wonderland, things got curiouser and curiouser. On Friday evening Davis announced he had saved Becky's job. I read with great curiosity his claim to have found an error in pricing a nationwide contract so big that she would have been fired for sure.

That sounded like a crock as Becky was a mathematical genius who balanced our checkbook every month without even using a calculator.

When I read his next message I knew he was setting her up. He kept reminding Becky that she said she owed him big time. For his big time reward he wanted to take her someplace special for a lunch date, just the two of them. He used several double entendres to make it clear what he expected to nibble on.

Becky seemed oblivious to what he was saying.

The last message was dated Wednesday. He reminded her he took a big risk covering her error and he would probably lose his job if his supervisor learned what he had done.

Becky wanted him to assure her it was just two friends going to lunch together. His reply got my blood boiling, "Yeah, just two friends...who are going to become much closer friends."

Then he gave specific instructions on what she was to wear to their private lunch date.

When I saw what she was wearing that morning I knew I had to move fast to save my marriage.

Becky had lunch every day from 11:30-12:30. At 11:25 I showed up unannounced to take my wife to lunch. I got the strangest looks from several of the women I passed, as though they shared a dirty secret.

When I presented myself at Becky's work station she damn near screamed, "What are you doing here!" This drew even more attention.

"Do I need a reason for taking my beautiful wife on a lunch date?"

Becky's eyes opened wide as she stammered, "Uh, I can't. Did you forget we're going out to dinner tonight...besides I'm going to lunch with Mary Beth and Irene." Both gave her a look which I interpreted as don't suck me into your cess pool.

Irene spoke first, "Girl, ain't nothin' more important than you going to lunch with your husband."

Mary Beth shook her head, "You know I always bring my lunch."

"Looks like you're stuck with me." I gave my best Cheshire cat grin.

Becky looked as nervous as a whore in church as I extended my hand to her. Just then a smarmy looking man in a cheap suit strode in. He was a typical sleazy salesman, always on and full of shit. He started to say, "Who's ready to go to..." but didn't finish the sentence.

He froze when he saw me holding my wife's hand. I could hear the other Tech Assistants giggling behind me. I was glad I wore my brand new tailored suit. I looked like success; he looked like a used car salesman.

"Uh Alex, this is Vince Davis." He extended his hand. I ignored it and said, "My wife and I will be back in one hour." He just stood there shifting his weight from foot to foot and looking stupid before finally asking one of the ladies a lame question regarding an out of stock item.

I had taken the liberty of stopping at a deli and had a very nice lunch waiting in my car. I spread it out on one of the picnic tables the company provided. Becky was talking a mile a minute about work but somehow never mentioned Davis. So I did.

"If I didn't know better I would have thought that pompous ass was under the impression he was taking you to lunch."

Becky started choking on her roast beef sandwich. I handed her something to drink and asked, "Honey, is there something you want to tell me?"

Her silence lasted for well over a minute. She didn't look me in the eye when she finally began speaking. "I really screwed up a big order. I priced the product so low I probably would have been fired. Vince caught the error and corrected it. I told him I owed him big time. It's just an expression people say all the time."

"Vince said he wanted to go on a lunch date to repay him for saving my job."

"So this morning when you said, 'I just felt like dressing up' you weren't being truthful with me."

"Uhhh, well he said he wanted me to look nice."

"You let that piece of shit tell you what to wear!"

"It's, I mean, he like asked...well...uh...yeah, I guess he told me to wear a red dress."

"You do know every woman you work with thinks you're having an affair with him."

Becky screamed, "Who told you that!"

"I could see it on their faces as I walked by."

"I...I...I..." she stammered.

"Let me guess, he's been hovering around you, bringing you coffee, telling jokes."

"No, I mean yes. I mean he was just being friendly."

"Friendly? Did he bring coffee for any of the other eleven women who do the same exact job for him as you?"

"No, but...but..."

"Your co-workers aren't blind. They saw him grooming you just like they noticed you wearing a dress on casual Friday."

It took several minutes but Becky finally admitted the attention stroked her ego and she developed a stupid school girl crush on him, "It was exciting sneaking around, teasing each other...but we were just playing. He knew I would never do anything with him."

"Either you're an idiot or you think I'm an idiot. Becky, I read the e-mails. Why do you think he blackmailed you into going on a private lunch date? The man was going to have sex with you, whether you wanted it or not."

"No he's...I mean, no...he wouldn't... he knows I'm married. I would never cheat on you."

"Maybe not physically, "I touched my index finger to her forehead, "but you did in here. And that's every bit as bad."

Becky started crying. I wrapped my arm around her and said, "You betrayed me...you betrayed our wedding vows. And actions have consequences. Give me one good reason why I should stay married to a woman I can't trust."

She began sobbing so hard she could barely catch her breath. She finally managed to squeak out, "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry. You're sorry!" I screamed. "That's not a reason. That's something a cheating wife says when she gets caught. If I hadn't showed up when I did he would be fucking you right now." I took my arm off her shoulder and got up to leave.

That slammed her back to reality. She screamed "No!" and lunged forward to grab my leg.

"Let go. I'm leaving."

She sounded like an asthmatic sucking for a breath as she choked out, "Don't go. I've got a bunch of reasons. You saved me from making the biggest mistake of my life." She paused to compose herself. "You, you're the only man I ever loved. You're the only man I ever wanted." There were long pauses as she struggled to breathe. Tears and snot rolled down her face. "From the day I met you I wanted you. Without you I don't want to live. Please forgive me... I'm such an idiot...Tell me what I have to do to make things right and I'll do it. Anything. Please don't leave me." She collapsed to her knees and began sobbing.

I waited for a couple of minutes before I lifted her face in my hands and said, "I love you too much not to forgive you...but we will talk a lot more about this when we get home." I handed her my handkerchief. "Now wipe your face you look like hell."

Becky jumped up and shouted for joy, "I love you so much!" She threw her arms around me and gave me the best kiss ever. We sat in silence for several minutes, my arms wrapped around my wife, squeezing tight.

I checked the time then asked, "Are you ready to face your co-workers?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"Then the hour is nigh at hand to set things right."

I cleaned up the table then escorted my wife back to her work station. I looked around for Davis but he was smart enough to stay out of sight. Two of her co-workers came over and introduced themselves. Becky sat down and hung her head in shame.

In a loud voice I asked them to keep an eye on my wife because I was afraid her red dress would attract human scum. Just because I forgave her didn't mean I would forget her indiscretion.

You should have seen the shit eating grins on their faces; both asked for my business card so they could keep me in the loop. I wrote my cell phone number on the back.

Becky's face was as red as her dress.

My last stop was Human Relations where I introduced myself to Ms. Gladys Whyte, Director of Personnel. Ms. Whyte looked like a refugee from a 1950's black and white movie. I could even detect a hint of witch hazel and mothballs hovering over her silver hair.

I introduced myself and asked for a few minutes of her time.

"How may I help you Mr. Niles?"

"I believe we can help each other. My wife, Becky, Rebecca to you, is a Tech Assistant."

"Ah, the legendary scarlet lady. I take it you are here to defend her honor." Ms. Whyte may have been ancient but she had a keen sense of irony. "You are not the first person to seek an audience with me regarding the situation. Unfortunately, your wife has become quite the topic of conversation."

I reached in my suit coat pocket and took out an envelope. "This may seem a bit unorthodox but I would like to file a sexual harassment complaint against one of your sales reps."

"Let me guess. Vince Davis." A thin smile cracked her weathered face. "You are correct Mr. Niles, this is highly unusual. But you have my curiosity piqued. Please proceed."

"My wife is the most dedicated employee you have but at 5:00 PM she switches identities and forgets her job until 8 the next morning. However, for the last few weeks she seems to be unable to carry on a dinner conversation without mentioning Davis. What he did, what he said...ad nauseam."

"This did not escape my attention. So I began doing a little detective work. I get up a half hour before my wife and used that time to search her computer every morning.

"It took all of my self control to not scream when I read the Davis' e-mails. The first couple were work related. Then he started flirting with her. He even tried to talk her into going to work without panties."

"Oh my," Ms. Whyte said.

"Then last week he sent an e-mail claiming he caught a significant error on a large order she input, an error that would have priced the product below production costs. He said he corrected the pricing and reentered the order with no one being the wiser. She foolishly said she 'owed him big time' for saving her job."

"Davis started pressuring her to going on a private lunch date so she could properly thank him. He was harassing her at work in addition to the e-mails."

"Becky kept reminding him she was happily married and hoped she didn't give him the wrong impression. He finally wore her down and she agreed to have lunch in a restaurant but that was all. As you can see his idea of her 'owing him big time' had nothing to do with buying her a burger and fries."

I handed her the printed out e-mails.

"One moment Mr. Niles. Our sales reps do not have access to the billing portion of our program. He could not have done what he claims."

She picked up her phone and punched in a few numbers. "Fortunately we have a keystroke logging program. We'll know in a few minutes what actually happened."

"William I need your wizardry." She explained what Davis claimed to have done then looked at the last e-mail. "Check Rebecca Niles' computer for last week. Hmmm. You're certain of that. Every order. I am sorry to have doubted you. Thank you very much William.

"Well Mr. Niles, it appears your wife has been sold a bill of goods. Every order she entered was 100% accurate with no changes made. From what her supervisor said at her last performance review I would be very surprised to have heard otherwise."

"Unfortunately my wife believed him."

"That is indeed most unfortunate."

"There were no e-mails the last two mornings but when I saw how she was dressed I knew that bastard had blackmailing her into going on their lunch date.

"That brings u an interesting question. I can not understand why he would have your wife call so much attention to herself with that dress? One would have thought discretion would have been of primary importance."

"I would bet Davis is a misogynist and was more interested in flaunting his control over her...making her his trophy as it were. It didn't matter whether he had sex with her as long as his buddies thought he had."

I believe you are correct Mr. Niles."

After I left Ms. Whyte I had the distinct impression Davis would need to update his resume.

I had a bad feeling the bastard would be waiting to confront my wife in the parking lot after work. Fortunately I had a good friend on the police department who was glad to cruise through the parking lot at quitting time. Officer Celik even found a place to park where his dash cam had a clear shot of Becky's car.

The hardest thing I did was to heed his admonition to 'not be within five miles in case something went down.'

"Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you wife."

Davis was lying in wait for Becky, hiding behind a van. When she hit the remote to open her door he pounced. He threw her against the trunk and started screaming, "You fucking bitch! You're going to pay for what you did!"

Now in Davis' defense there was no way he could have known the man who pulled him off my wife was a police officer. Too bad he swung before he looked. His fist connected with Officer Celik's jaw causing him to stagger but not fall. He responded with several baton blows to Davis' head until he released Becky. By then blood was gushing out of his nose and mouth. He swung blindly and was rewarded with a taser shot to the chest. This knocked his legs out from under him. He collapsed face first to the asphalt and soiled himself. Celik knelt down and handcuffed his wrists behind his back.

By now a large crowd had formed to see what was happening. A few minutes later two backup squad cars arrived. He was still twitching when they loaded him into the back of a car.

Mary Beth and Irene led the crowd in applauding the police as they hustled Davis away.

Becky looked mortified. Officer Celik told her he would drive her to the station to take her report.

I was driving to my next customer when my phone rang. It was Irene. "Thought you might like to know, Davis was giving your wife grief in the stock room for not going to lunch with him when he got paged to Personnel. I saw him about a half hour later getting escorted out by a guard. Next thing I knew he was getting his ass whopped by a police man for bothering your wife. And oh, his face don't look too pretty anymore."

"Irene, I can't thank you enough. Becky is lucky to have you as a friend."

"Shoot, after what I saw happen to Davis I never want you to be my enemy." We both laughed.

Epilogue

We didn't go out to dinner and dancing that night. Instead we ordered a pizza and spent the evening sitting in front of the fireplace drinking wine and talking. Becky was embarrassed at how naĂŻve and trusting she was. She called me her hero and said I was like a knight in shining armor protecting her virtue. A lot of tears were shed but we are now closer than ever. Then we went upstairs for a couple rounds of forgiveness sex.

5. Liked by 1 user: birita1965